A customer call this month said that when using the DIGSI 5 “Project Export”, only the TEA-X option was available/enabled. How could the file be saved in DEX5 format to send to someone? (The DEX5 option was greyed out in the list of export options).
There are two topics here:
1) The recommended method to share data
This assumes you have created a project and downloaded device data into a project. The concept is to send the entire project file. This can be done by following the steps below.
- Use the Project/Archive function [ .dz5 Archived Project]
- Manually locate the project file, copy and send (or zip and send) – but this a duplication of the above
- Export just the device file by highlighting the relay in the project tree and selecting Export. This requires the other user to create a project to then import the device file into [ .dex5 Device Archive]
Our DIGSI-5-QN001 “Quick Note” provides more details on this which follows longstanding DIGSI-4 practices.
2) What is the TEA-X method?
TEA-X is a more universal format (using XML) allowing DIGSI information to be accessed via different applications (for example, the Excel import/export tool discussed in our Dec 2019 newsletter).
The TEA-X format can also be used between different versions of DIGSI. We recommend that if opening an earlier DIGSI 5 project/device file version in a later version of DIGSI 5, you use the normal .dz5/dex5 file formats and follow the automatic update process that follows. It is possible to also use TEA-X format files for this transfer. The interesting capability of TEA-X is that it allows files saved in a later version of DIGSI 5 to be opened in earlier versions of DIGSI 5. We don’t normally recommend ‘downgrading’ but it is possible. If downgrading, please exercise care with a detailed checking of the resulting file – we don’t have experience of how ‘unsupported’ information is handled.
Remember ‘DIGSI-5-QN008’ provides a step-by-step guide to extracting settings and fault records from a relay and saving, then references QN0001 for how to save it.